YESSS!!!! It’s Opening Ceremony time for the 2019 Winter Writing Festival!!

**Found out about the Winter Writing Festival after January 10? JUMP ON IN, ANYWAY!! Award yourself as many points as you need to get caught up, and get started!! We’ll see you in the sprints!!!**

Once again, here come some of our favorite words of the year:

We now declare the NINTH ANNUAL Ruby Slippered Sisterhood Winter Writing Festival OPEN! Let the Games begin!!

To get your BONUS point for today, Thursday January 10, add a comment here on the regular Ruby Slippered Sisterhood blog (rubyslipperedsisterhood.com) in which you:

1) define how *you personally* will earn your Festival “points”

and

2) declare your commitment to earning 50 points by Feb 28, 2019. (Further details on goal-setting follow below).

Leaving a comment today on the regular Ruby blog also puts you in the running for some cool prizes–the first round of our fabled Festival Swag, which will include gift cards, awesome Ruby books, fun treats, and the ever-popular WRITING CRITIQUES, which we’ll continue giving out in random drawings every Thursday from now until the end of the Festival on Thursday, Feb 28!!)

_________________________

WHAT IS THE WINTER WRITING FESTIVAL???

For those who haven’t been with us for the WWF before, it’s an online writing festival, kind of like NaNoWriMo, but designed by busy, hard-working women: i.e., we schedule it for AFTER the hectic rush of the holidays, and we let you DESIGN YOUR OWN approach to “winning” so it actually fits in with your real life!!

For fifty days through what’s otherwise the dullest part of winter, we cheer each other on to make serious progress in our writing, with regular check-ins, celebratory prizes, and (for those who want more direct support) lots of friendly, online Writing Sprints!! (More details on all these things below.)

The WWF is open to writers in ALL GENRES (not just romance), and it’s 100% free to join!

TO REGISTER:

You don’t really have to register officially–just declaring your intentions here is all you need to do. But if you like making your commitment extra-formal, leave your comment today on the regular Ruby site (rubyslipperedsisterhood.com) stating how you’ll earn your Festival points, then jump over to our special Festival site, rsswwf.com, and officially register. Click on the word “Member” near the upper right of that page, then click on “Register for the site.” You can set up a profile with a list of your own specific terms for earning points. When you log back in throughout the Festival, you should be able to keep track of your points to see how far you’ve come. (Should there be any technical problems, don’t worry! Just leave your comment here–we’ll consider you part of the Festival no matter what!)

WRITING SPRINTS:

The very BEST thing about the rsswwf.com site is the CHAT ROOM, which we use for writing sprints. Those of you who’ve participated in the Festival before can testify that writing sprints are pretty darned miraculous at helping writers be super-turbo-powered productive–even if the chaos of life normally makes it hard for you to get much written.

We’ve already got a group who will be meeting every weekday morning from 9-12 a.m. Eastern time, and we’ll have other times scheduled throughout the week, or you can just contact a buddy and arrange to meet there anytime!

To get in, click on the Chat Room link above, or look at the box near the upper left of the rsswwf.com site (under “Sprint Schedule), and you’ll jump to a screen where you can type in the name or nickname you want to use during the chat. Hit enter, and you’ll find yourself in a virtual space where you communicate by typing with other writers also eager to get work done. During scheduled sprint times, a Sprint Host will be there to greet you and show you the ropes.

Typically, the group chats for a few minutes, then starts a timed sprint when everyone jumps into their individual manuscripts and writes like crazy for 20 minutes (or 45 minutes at some sessions), then comes back for another quick chat when the “time’s up” bell sounds. During chat time, you check in about how much progress you made, share tips for productivity, get advice and feedback, or just blow off steam and get to know some new friends (and probably laugh yourself silly). Then you jump back into another sprint. DON’T BE SHY!!! Sprints really keep you in your seat and cranking out those words. Stay as long as you like, and say goodbye whenever you need to! Zero judgment, 100% moral support. It’s practically magic!!! Ruby Sister Kim Law has some great instructions here.

And starting on January 22, the plot-guru extraordinaire Hope Ramsay will be running her famous Plot Brainstorming Sessions in the Chat Room on Tuesdays from 7-9 pm.

Writing sprints start TODAY and happen at various times daily. Jump in anytime!!!

*******************************

PARTICIPANT BADGE:

To help keep you inspired between writing sprints, grab yourself a Participant badge (right-click on the one below and then click on “save image as”) to upload to your personal website.

You can also check in daily at the Brag Blog on the rsswwf.com site, where you can report on how your writing day has gone, get a quick pep talk if you need it, or celebrate whenever you earn a point! You’ll also find inspirational daily quotes and links to Ruby posts on craft to pull you through when you’re feeling a little stuck.

******************************

FABULOUS SWAG:

As always, there will be fantabulous Winter Writing Festival swag you have a chance to win today and during Thursday Check-Ins if you meet your goals each week. (You can also purchase some cool Winter Writing Festival swag yourself–including coffee mugs, tees, sweats, and totes with the Festival logo–at our Cafe Press store.)

Here are the prizes we’ll be giving away throughout the day today:

Much more swag to come, including the always-popular Writing Critiques!!

What’s not to love about this Festival? (Our thanks to mega-talented Ruby Sister Liz Bemis of bemispromotions.com for designing and maintaining both our sites!!)

******************************

A QUICK REVIEW OF THE GOAL-SETTING AND POINT-SCORING RULES:

Everybody gets one BONUS point TODAY for coming to the Ruby blog and leaving a comment that makes a public declaration of your commitment to take part in the Festival and a public announcement of your goals. Then, for each of the 50 days of the Festival (including today), you work to earn an additional point—and you define what it takes to earn that point.

Here are some examples of the sorts of things you might define as worth one point (you fill in the variables with the amounts that work for you):

-writing X number of words or pages
-deep revising Y number of pages
-polishing Z number of pages
-freewriting / brainstorming for Q number of minutes/hours
-doing R number of 20-minute writing sprints
-keeping butt in chair and hands on keyboard for S number of minutes or hours

For instance, one person might commit to earning points according to the following terms:

-writing 500 words per day OR
-deep revising for one hour per day OR
-doing a final polish on 25 pages per day

Any day that person meets ANY of those goals, she gets a point.

YOU set the goals that meet your personal writing style and writing needs. (For more advice on how to set up your goals, see here).

If you can’t meet your goal on any particular day, you can certainly double or triple or quadruple your goal on another day to catch up.

And if you know ahead of time that you can never work on certain days (say, Saturdays) feel free to add  something like “keep balance in my life by taking Saturday off” to your personal list of ‘ways to earn a point.’ Really. You can earn a point by taking a planned day off!! If it keeps you on track, DO IT!!

We also highly recommend having a “emergency / bad day goal” for when life gets in the way–like just 50 new words, or 5 minutes looking at your manuscript, or something really, really manageable–so you don’t let a bout of flu or late day at the office throw you off completely. Just promise yourself you’ll only use those for the unexpected bumps in the road. That way you’ll feel like you’re still on board, and won’t just drop by the wayside.

And if setting your goals by the week works better for you than setting them by the day, go for it!!! Same with setting goals by the month, or just having one big 50-day overall goal!!

Remember, we all have different life commitments and different approaches to our writing lives, so we all need to set our own goals. All goals are equally worthy. This isn’t a competition, it’s a supportive process for MOVING FORWARD WITH OUR WRITING.

We want the Festival to work for YOU!

Check in at the Ruby blog every Thursday during the Festival to report your progress (and be entered in random drawings for more Festival Swag.)

If you reach Feb 28 with a nice round 50 points (or more), YOU WIN!!

Spread the word to all your writer friends–all genres are welcome!!!

Good luck all, and GET WRITING!!

91 responses to “YESSS!!!! It’s Opening Ceremony time for the 2019 Winter Writing Festival!!”

I’m going to start us off small and modest, but still really ENTHUSIASTIC!!

I’ve had almost no writing time for the past several months, since my kid with severe ADD started high school. We’ve been homeschooling at night (essentially) to keep him on track, and that’s meant my writing falls to the wayside.

So my goal is a weekly goal, and not big. I’m going to commit to two writing sprints per week (including the one I’m hosting Saturday afternoons). That may not sound like much, but it’s going to be a heck of lot more than I’ve done since school started.

I’m excited!!!

Let’s go, everybody!!

• Lenee says:

Elisa, I hear ya. My kid is a freshman with ADD and it’s been kind of a struggle. Meds not working right, teenage angst and all that. When your constantly worried and afraid he’ll make a mess out of his life if he can’t get his homework turned in and upset because he’s acting like a jerk, it saps the creativity right out of you.

• Elisa and Lenee, I also have a child with ADD, and I know it can be HARD! Keep going, you’ve got this, but remember what’s important.

• Heather McCollum says:

My 17yo son was just finally diagnosed with ADHD. He’s gone through life just under the radar by getting ok grades and not being disruptive at school, but he was very disruptive at home. We started meds a few months ago and it seems to be helping him. He can actually read a chapter in a book without forgetting what he just read. I was starting to think he was dyslexic but really it was that he couldn’t keep track of anything. Hoping to get this all figured out before he leaves for college in August.

• Marin McGinnis says:

Oh, I hear ya, Elisa. My son was diagnosed with ADHD in first grade–fortunately now that he’s in 10th he has it fairly well-managed, but some days are definitely a struggle. Best of luck to both of you!

• Janet Walden West says:

Right there with you, sister.

My youngest has severe anxiety, so he has a homebound teacher twice a week. Which leaves me as his teacher the other 75% of the time.

• Elisa Beatty says:

Oh, my goodness!!

So many of us are dealing with very similar situations. It’s amazing we hold down jobs, and homes, and take care of kids and elder parents, and still try to find time to write.

I’m confident the WWF can help us all carve out the time we need to keep our writing alive!

2. Lenee Anderson says:

My goal is the write 50 words per day. Small you say? Yes. I’m a perfectionist in the most self destructive way so small goals are the best. I’m always succeeding! Also, next week we’re in Dallas for the International Bowl/National Football Team stuff so 50 words is about all I’ll be able to handle.
    I’d like to be able to write in the evenings after work too. So maybe a goal of 1 night of after work writing per week.

• Heather McCollum says:

The 50 words a day will keep the story fresh in your mind, which is half the battle : ) Dialogue and conflict scenes might pop up in your mind, and you can jot them down.

A great goal!

• Elisa Beatty says:

Absolutely, Heather!!

Go, Lenee, go!!! 50 words a day is forward progress, and forward progress is the only way to get our books done!!

So glad you’re with us again for the WWF!

3. I love the RSSWWF. Thank you so much for all you do!

My goal for this year is to rewrite my novel and ready it for querying. To earn my points, I’ll do the following:
    – Rewrite/revise for 90 minutes
    – Write new scenes for 60 minutes
    – Read craft blogs/books for 60 minutes
    – Earn a bonus point for sending it to a critique partner

• Hywela Lyn says:

Hi everyone – lovely to be back at the WWF! My goal is similar to Michelle in that I’m completely re-writing my current novel.

My goals are:
      *Rewriting/revision for at least 60 minutes
      *Bonus point for taking part in a sprint
      *Bonus point for writing extra scene or scenes
      *Complete any scheduled blog posts or reviews

• Elisa Beatty says:

Great goals, Michelle! So glad you’re back with us!

4. Audely B says:

Yay, can’t wait to participate again this year! I’m hopefully doing my last re-write draft before diving in to line edits and sending to betas.

My goals:
    – 30 minutes spent outlining or editing
    – 1500 new words
    – bonus point for taking part in a sprint (good idea Hywela Lyn!)
    – bonus point for editing on the bus (not sure yet how I’ll do that which is why this is a bonus point!)

• Elisa Beatty says:

Fabulous to have you back, Audley!

And, good news: you’ve won an autographed copy of Hope Ramsay’s THE COTTAGE ON ROSE LANE.

I’ll have Hope get in touch with you!

5. Woohoo. I love this time of year and can’t wait to get host some of the sprints.

My goal is to write 25K on a new book.

See you in the sprints.

6. Cynthia Huscroft says:

Am always excited for the RSSWWF to begin every year!

This year my goals are going to have to be meager as I am in the throes of moving out of state. So, have been packing up a household, navigating through needed estimates/repairs and the unfamiliar world of real estate transactions pretty much by myself. Well, let’s face it, it’s all unfamiliar territory!That being said….I’m here this morning.

My goals:

*Post today – check:)
    *50 words a day whether in the sprints or on my own and/or work on outlining the last several chapters.

(& make it to closing both real estate transaction and the WWF!)

• Heather McCollum says:

Awesome goal, Cynthia!
      With so much going on, 50 words a day will keep your mind in the book. Which is half the battle.
      If things come to you during the day (arguments or cool scenarios with your characters), you can jot them down in a little note book to remind you. Then those 50 words will roll right out of you when you get a chance to sit down.
      Best of luck with your closing! That’s so exciting!

7. Heather McCollum says:

Woot! I just love the WWF! So much energy, inspiration, and writers helping writers!

Goals for the festival:
    * Write 10K words a week (roughly 2k words a day) If my editor sends back my developmental review on another book, I’ll have to change this to an editing goal for a week.
    * Read all the inspiring posts to keep me going

Whew! I’m ready to roll!

8. Rachel Kolodziej says:

My struggle in the past few months has just been getting started. I wake up every morning telling myself that I will write that day and by the time I go to bed I’m berating myself for not having written a single word. So, my points system is all about putting my butt in the chair and doing the work.

Points:

– Butt in chair and fingers on the keyboard (no distractions) for 60 min per day.
    – 90 minutes of writing sprints.
    – 60 minutes of revising
    – Bonus Point – Finish at least 2 articles and one short story by the end of the Festival.

I’m excited for the festival and can’t wait to sprint with everyone! Thank you!

• Heather McCollum says:

The struggle is real, Rachel! With everything going on with the holidays, trying to get my house back in order, my kids having school vacations, my desire to lose 30 lbs, and my need to bake (LOL!), I’ve been having a hard time keeping my butt in the chair too.
      I try to entice myself by saving my favorite warm beverage (chai latte) for only when I’m sitting there writing. I also light a favorite candle and play music in the background. All these things help me get into the frame of mind of writing.

Also, when I’m doing other things, I try to imagine what my characters might be talking/fighting about and ideas pop up. When they do, it makes me want to sit down and write it out.

Great goals!

9. Debbie says:

My goal is going to be a weekly one since it’s been hectic around here. Deep edit 20 pages per week and write 50 new words. Love the WWF!

• Debbie says:

Oops just reread mine and need to edit it. The 20 pages stays but it should have read 500 new words per week. Not very much but I need to do something beyond edit. 50 words a week is probably a little too unambitious lol.

10. Marin McGinnis says:

Woo hoo! I love the WWF! I’m so glad you’re doing it again this year.

My goals will be 500 words a day, and some other stuff I haven’t thought of yet–probably editing, critiquing, and exercising.

11. Elizabeth Essex says:

The WWF could not have come at a better time for me. I am behind on a draft that I wanted to finish this winter, and need the goal setting and accountability and encouragement of the Ruby Sisters to get me back on track. I’m going to give myself a modest goal of 1500 words a day, knowing that some days that will be impossible and other days it will be plain sailing. But the end goal is a workable first draft on Feb. 28th.
    Thanks for the help, Sisters!

12. I’m a non-traditional college student. I have two classes left to take before I can graduate, but I’m stuck taking them in the summer because I have a hefty balance from fall semester I have to pay off first. So I’m using spring semester to get back into romance writing. But my brain is so fried from doing college the past five years, I can’t plot/write anything brand new. I have this chick lit I drafted back in 2007 and randomly wrote on until 2012 or so, so I’m finally going to do something with it.

My goals are small but mighty (for me):

Write 250 words per day OR
    Revise for 30 minutes per day

My emergency goal*: Stare at the massive amounts of files I’ve acquired on this project that I need to sort and/or do something with OR add songs to my story’s soundtrack.

* I’m expecting to do the emergency goal on Tuesdays (it’s production day/night at my campus newspaper; I’m the digital editor there) and the two days a week that my boyfriend is off work.

• Elisa Beatty says:

Three cheers for non-traditional college students!!

And how awesome that you’re carving out time to WRITE in the midst of everything!

We’re delighted to have you with us!

Bonus: you’re the winner of a $25 gift card (winner’s choice!) from Ruby Sister Katie Graykowski!

I’ll have Katie get in touch with you!

Have a fabulous WWF!

• OH MY GOD I SERIOUSLY WON SOMETHING SERIOUSLY??!!!?!?!?!?!?????!!!!!

I’ve had my eye on a SodaStream for a long time now. This gift card may help toward that purchase. #PoorCollegeStudent 😀

Thank you so much!!!!

13. Lille says:

Hi! I am so excited!

This year I am going to commit to working on my WIP at least 1 hour a day.

Here’s to another great year!

14. Kara A McLeod says:

I am so excited for this! I missed it last year due to wallowing in self-pity because of a broken leg and deciding that getting to the end of Netflix was more important than writing. (I did manage it, though, so that’s something.) But this year I am dedicated to getting back on track. (Fingers crossed my upcoming leg surgery won’t catapult me right back away from productivity.)

My main goal this year is to finally finish the WIP I was working on when I did the WWF in 2017. (I am the slowest writer on the planet – see the previous comment about Netflix – and I have two jobs, so it’s easy to let writing fall by the wayside.)

Some of my smaller goals include:

* Writing 2500 words a week
    * Committing to five 20-minute sprints a week
    * At least sitting at the computer for 30 minutes a day to work on my WIP, whether it’s editing or revising or actual writing
    * My emergency goal: allowing myself one day of not writing per week, so I can keep my sanity

Looking forward to another great year. See you all in the sprints!

15. So excited to get started this year! And (almost) healthy enough to dive right in!

I will earn a point by:
    1) Composing 2,000 new words on a new project.
    2) Reading completely & judging a RITA book or GH Entry.
    3) Editing (actual number of pages may vary).

And since I don’t have my edits or my RITA/GH entries yet, it looks like I know what my marching orders are! 🙂 Let’s do this!

16. Debbie H says:

I am trying to break some bad habits and recharge my creativity. My WWF Goals for 2019:
    -Register and set goals, 1 point
    -Outline a WIP, 10 points
    -Catch up on reading re: craft, 1
    -Register for a post Feb. class, 1
    -Renew WD Subscription, 1
    -BICHOK 5 days/week 5 hours total, 5/week
    -Participate in writing sprints, 1/hour
    -Revising, 1/hour
    -Reorganize office, 5

Thank you, Rubies, for this festival.

17. Molly Owen says:

This is my first year. I just heard about this festival for the first time yesterday. NaNoWriMo comes at the worst time for me. I usually do what I call a MeWriMo in January or February, so the WWF seems like the perfect thing to get involved with.

I am in the middle of a major revision of my first novel in hopes of making it more saleable.

I will earn points by:
    Rewriting/Revising for 60 minutes
    Writing new scenes for 60 minutes
    Sharing my work with a critique partner
    Taking part in a sprint
    Keeping butt in chair for 2 hours

Bonus point if I finish my revision.

• Elise Hayes says:

Hi Molly, I totally agree with you about the NaNo timing–it’s awful!! I *love* that WWF takes place during winter and NOT around a major holiday. Welcome!

18. Willow Croft says:

Deep revising: 10 pages a day (on my 2018 NaNoWriMo project).

19. Sonja Brow says:

I’m going to write, actually write, each day, and try to participate in sprints.

20. Zoe Burton says:

This is my first time to participate, but I love challenges and am eager to start!

Here are my goals:
    -2,000 words per day on regular days OR 500 words on days Real Life interferes
    -No writing on Sundays
    -Writing blog posts for the week on Fridays
    -20 minutes on the treadmill each day
    -Getting up to move and stretch every 2 hours

• Elizabeth Langston says:

So glad you’ve joined us.

It’s good to see that you’re taking a day off. When I require myself to have a non-writing day, I just love it (and there’ no guilt. ‘Cause you’re getting a point for it!)

• Elisa Beatty says:

Welcome, Zoe!

You’re the winner of a $10 Starbucks card plus ebook copy of Heather McCollum‘s A ROSE IN THE HIGHLANDS

Heather will be in touch!

21. Retro-Writer says:

As a single, homeschool Mom and freelancer, sometimes I feel like I don’t have enough hours in the day! This year I am determined to be published traditionally, so I will commit to
    -1,375 words a week
    -Deep Edit 30 minutes weekly
    -Write review/blog post/article weekly
    Emergency Goal- 50 words a day when family is home/sick

• Elizabeth Langston says:

Happy to have you with us. (I was a homeschool mom, too, but they’re out of the nest and I miss them. More time for writing, though!)

• Retro-Writer says:

I am glad I’ll have writing to keep me occupied in the future. It hard to imagine NOT having to think, “School first, life second.” It may be time consuming, but I love having so much time with my son! 🙂

22. I’ve said it before, but the WWF is a life saver.

Things went way off the rails last year, with elder care and its aftermath, and I just started picking up my writing mojo again.

My goals:
    -Get my GH entry in by the Friday deadline.
    -Finish up an Amazon /GR review I owe a friend for an ARC.
    -Finish up a critique that I owe a CP.
    -Finish the ms I’m 18k into, that I haven’t touched for two months.
    -Get back into the sprints at least once a week–miss you ladies and your energy!
    Good luck to everyone.

• Elise Hayes says:

Yay you for getting back to the writing! (I’m just coming back from 6 months away from the keyboard, so I am similarly re-immersing myself into the writing). Good luck with the first goal: getting the GH entry in!!

23. Tammy B says:

Hi! I’m brand new here. Literally just saw this on twitter. I’ve signed up, and waiting for my name and password.
    I have reworked my first manuscript for over a decade, and it’s about time to say I’m done!
    My goals?
    Edit 60 minutes at least 5 times a week
    Do at least one word sprint a week.
    Write a blog post weekly.
    Write a book review weekly.
    Spend 2 hours quality time with my family every week, even with our hectic schedules.
    Good luck all!

• Elizabeth Langston says:

Thank you for joining us!

Sprints are amazing. I’m always astonished how quickly the words flow. And the support from other writers is great.

24. Lynn L. says:

I’ve followed this for a couple years, but this is my first year participating. And I’ve gotten off track with writing. So this challenge will help me get focused & back on track!

I’m going to personally earn points by:
    (1) writing 500 words per day,
    (2) doing at least 1 word sprint per week,
    (3) spend 2 hours per day writing, and
    (4) carrying my writing journal with me everywhere and jotting notes/inspiration as I go about my day.

Good luck everyone!

• Elizabeth Langston says:

So glad you “took the plunge.” WWF is a lot of fun.

• Elise Hayes says:

Good luck, Lynn! I’ve found the WWF incredibly helpful in past years–especially in the winter months when otherwise I would tend to be unproductive (winter is NOT my favorite time of year). Welcome to the WWF!

25. Elizabeth Langston says:

Here are my goals for 2019!

– 300 words on each weekday on my WIP
    – one day where I don’t write
    – one day where I begin outlining/ brainstorming something new

26. delia says:

I’m so excited that it’s time for the WWF!

Goals:

Write 500 words a day or outline for 30 minutes or take a day for self-care.

I’m sure I’ll come up with more goals as the WWF progresses, but this is a good place to start.

27. Melanie Macek says:

First off, Good Luck to everyone participating! I’m so excited to do this again this year. It helps that our local library is starting a writer’s group. I hope it flourishes because we’ve tried and failed before to keep one going in our town.

My goals for the festival will end up being weekly goals because of teaching. I’m going to put multiple things I need to accomplish so I have a variety of ways to meet my goals because I don’t want to set myself up for failure.

-write 2500 words a week OR
    -edit 10 pages a week OR
    -write at least 3 writing related posts either on my author page or blog.

Becoming a teacher really took time away from writing for me. This is the first year I’ve been able to have more free time and mental energy to attempt anything during the regular week. I’ve basically only been writing during the breaks.
    Hope to see some of you in the chat rooms.

Melanie

• Elise Hayes says:

Hey Melanie,

I teach, too, so I totally understand your weekly goals. I’m trying a new strategy–I’ve cleared out about a 40-50 minute time period before I go in to teach. I’m going to try to write during that time. I know it’s going to be tough because teaching demands pretty constant (and intense) attention), but we’ll see… Good luck!!

28. Jennifer Jung says:

Yay! I’m so excited to be participating again this year! I got so much out of the writing festival last year and hopefully I’ll make it to 50 points this year!

My points will be for:
    -500 words written
    -10 pages (or a scene, whichever I’m working on that day) deeply edited/revised
    -1 hour butt in chair, hands on keyboard
    -1 hour researching, brainstorming, etc.

My big goal for January/February is to finish the first draft of my current WIP and have at least two key parts super polished to be able to submit to critique partners or friends and fam that want to see what I’m writing 🙂

Thanks Rubies!!!!

29. Tamara Girardi says:

So glad to be back!!!! This is the best online writing festival! I’ve been writing picture books lately but also have to get back into the mindset of revising my YA novel. So…my points will be for:
    – Drafting a new PB idea
    – Polishing a PB draft
    – Brainstorming three new PB ideas
    – One hour of revision time on YA novel
    – Participating in a sprint

Can’t wait to get at it!
    -Tamara

30. Meghan Bennett says:

My goal is to keep working on the novel I started for NaNo. My points to earn will be for:
    Adding words to my novel
    Brainstorming
    Editing and revising
    Research or reading I have to do in my craft
    Spending 30 minutes at a time on my novel
    Taking a break/having family time instead of writing
    Talking and collaborating with other writers

• Elise Hayes says:

I love the variety of this list, Meghan. It’s realistic because some days are brainstorming days when no new words get added to the actual novel, but important progress is still being made. Good luck!

31. Elise Hayes says:

I’m in! After about a 6-month writing hiatus, I started again with the new year (and, more importantly, a new semester). My goal is to have my butt in the chair and hands on the keyboard (channeling my inner Nora) at least 15 minutes a day, 5 days per week. I’ve actually got a new morning routine that I hope will result in much more time than that–I’ve been averaging about 45 minutes/day 5 days/week for the past two weeks–but the WWF goal is 15 minutes/day 5 days/week. Wish me luck!

32. Stephanie Baassler says:

I’m going to give myself a point for:

-30 minutes of writing work (editing, research, etc)

– 100+ words daily

or
    – 1000+ words weekly

33. Kate Parker says:

I’m working on edits – revisions on two works. And day I don’t have an edit staring me in the face I’ll work on the next story that is just beginning.

So my goal is 2 hours a day, butt in chair, hands on keyboard, working on one or another.

34. Susan says:

To write 200 words a day and to do 3 sprints. Good luck

35. Maida Malby says:

First timer here. I’ll give myself 50 points if I’ve completed writing, sent to Betas, and copy-edited my book Singapore Fling by February 28.

36. Brenda Lowder says:

First timer and a day late, oh no!

I’ll earn my Festival points by writing 800 words a day or doing 1 hour of deep revising a day.

And I’m committed to earning 50 points by Feb. 28!

• Elisa Beatty says:

Welcome, Brenda! Always wonderful to have first timers! And your plan sounds terrific.

I highly, highly recommend trying out a sprint session in the Chat Room. You’ll have your 800 words before you know it! And everyone is super-supportive.

37. Willow Croft says:

Oops, never mind, I figured out how to register. I’m a reader that doesn’t know how to read, apparently. *laugh*

38. Paula Huffman says:

Sorry I’m late! I’ve been looking forward to WWF for months, but last night I had to get a manuscript ready to enter the Golden Heart, so I didn’t make it to the Opening Ceremony. I did, however, write over 2,500 new words yesterday, so I’m giving myself a point anyway. To earn more, I’ll do one of the following:
    1. Write 500 new words in a day.
    2. Revise for 60 minutes
    3. Critique for my writing partners for 60 minutes
    4. Go to the gym to work out (I’m better when I move.)
    5. Read something helpful and apply what I learned (Craft book or blog, well-written fiction, etc…)
    6. Complete a sprint.

Thanks again, Rubies, for creating this wonderful writing community! I can’t wait to get started!

39. Krystal Hernandez says:

First time writer, participant, EVERYTHING really. I just recently this year made the decision to become a writer and to slowly try and make that a realistic career one day. I did not make it to the Opening Ceremony and only just registered for the festival today! Better late than never!
    I have set the following goals:
    1. Write 200 words a day.
    2. Edit/Revise at least 1 chapter a day.
    3. Edit/Revise POV at least 1 chapter a day.
    4. Identify Character/background inconsistencies in at least 1 chapter a day.

• Elisa Beatty says:

Fabulous, Krystal! We love first-timers!! You’ll find lots of support and inspiration here, and I know you’ll take some big steps towards achieving that writing dream!

Be sure to join in the Sprints over at rsswwf.com/iChat The Sprint schedule is posted in the gray box on the upper left corner of the rsswwf.com site (our sister site that we use during the WWF.)

Good luck!!!

40. You Ruby Slipper ladies continue to surprise! Another great event and one that will definitely help me keep on track!

• Autumn Jordon: Everyone of these cover designers is so talented. I wish I had their eye for detail.
  • Autumn Jordon: I totally agree, Kate. I think it takes a certain eye to make an awesome cover.
  • Autumn Jordon: They did a amazing job answering my questions, didn’t they. I also learned a lot.
  • Darynda Jones: What a great interview! Thanks for taking the time, guys. This is so informative and timely. I love...
  • Kate Parker: Thank you so much for this timely interview. I’m indie and getting ready to recover the first in...