Meet Golden Heart Finalist Alice Faris!

Today we’re welcoming another Dragonfly, 2015 Golden Heart Finalist Alice Faris, whose book, GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO TALKING DIRTY is nominated for Contemporary Romance.

Alice Faris grew up in a small community in Northern California that proudly boasts of having more cows than people. She raised Guide Dogs for the Blind, is dyslexic, and can shoot a gun and miraculously never hit the target (which at some point becomes a statistical improbability). Alice also publishes science fiction and fantasy under the pen name Tina Gower, has won the Writers of the Future, and the Daphne du Maurier Award for Mystery/Suspense (paranormal category). Alice is represented by Rebecca Strauss at DeFiore and Company.

Here’s a blurb for GOOD GIRL’S GUIDE TO TALKING DIRTY:

When budget cuts slash her school psychologist job, relationship-shy East Winters lands an interview across country for her dream job. She breaks all her strict rules and works as a phone sex operator to finance the trip. Worse, she hitches a cross-country ride with a hunky, emotionally unavailable truck driver. Soon she’s counseling him for his intense anxiety issues from surviving a school shooting. Close quarters ignite an attraction that forces her to decide which is more important, her job or her heart.

Wow! Fabulous title and great premise!! I do love a good close-quarters, slow-melt story, especially when both hero and heroine need to let down their guards….yum!!

Okay, everybody—let’s all grab a 7-Eleven Big Gulp and climb into a (virtual) truck cab with Alice to learn more about her book and her amazingly inspiring writing life.

***************************************************

tina-croppedWelcome to the Ruby blog, Alice! You write Sci-Fi AND light-hearted Contemporary Romance? Interesting combination. How did your Golden Heart book come to be?

I’d just finished a science fiction book with elements of romance and it was pretty gritty and heavy. I had this idea for a really funny humor story, but I really fought it for a while since it’s hard to write in two genres and I was trying to stick with one to “break out.” I would write scenes here and there between other projects. I sell SF/F short stories, which is how I afford to be an at-home-mom writer. After a while I couldn’t stand it anymore and I broke down and wrote the novel rough draft. It only took about two and a half months writing sometimes two or three thousand words a day, because I had to finish my other work before I could justify working on Good Girl’s Guide. And gosh darn it, more characters from the same world keep popping into my head, so I’ve already got some ideas on another contemporary humor book.

I thought I would self-publish it, but my agent talked me out of it. “This is really good. I can sell this,” is what she said. Then I entered it into the Golden Heart because I loved it too.

And you snagged a Golden Heart nomination!! Good for you! When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?

This is a tough one for me. I didn’t really accept that I could write for a very long time. I loved story and plot. I loved sitting for hours on end outwardly staring at nothing, but inwardly creating an entire world in my head. I was pretty much a space cadet growing up—mostly dreaming of what was going on beyond the stars, so I was naturally drawn to science fiction and fantasy. Reading was difficult, but if the story was engaging I’d battle it out to find out what happened. It was probably my intense thirst for a good story that saved me (writers have the power to help children overcome dyslexia, yo!).

I won’t lie, I was an honors student, but it was a strange thing to be talking remedial classes and honors classes at the same time, especially in college. Meanwhile I’d jot down story notes, I’d sketch pictures of characters or scenes from my head, I’d write scenes when I’d get bored with homework. I had a lot of little stapled-together books that I’d proudly display. Most of the time people wouldn’t comment on the great ideas, but on the horrible spelling, handwriting, or grammar. Worse, I’d have people laugh and make fun of the mistakes and how funny the sentences sounded. So I learned to hide it and just keep it for myself. If it was something only I could understand, I didn’t want to burden others with it. Remedial college English classes were awesome, because I think it was the first time I’d been taught the actual rules for grammar in a way that made sense to me. Or maybe my brain was finally ready to absorb the information.

I probably would have never gone any further than to write up stories nobody else would ever see, except for one thing. After my son was born, I had a freak medical mystery/accident. I’d suffered severe nerve damage in my hips and was paralyzed. I always feel like I’ve tazered people when I lay out that life detail. Just know that I can walk now, and I did about two years of physical therapy. During that time I promised myself that I’d try to get one thing published. So I took writing classes from a local writer who took the individual time to go over sentence structure with me, along with word choice, emotion, all the basics. I wrote non-fiction humor pieces and one day I saw a call for Chicken Soup for the Soul and I happened to have a story that fit the theme. I sent it in and didn’t hear from them for nearly a year, but it sold. I now had $200 dollars from a thousand word story and ten free copies of the book. I was floored. I knew it couldn’t be that easy again (and it wasn’t, it took me years to sell another story), but I took it as a sign that it would be possible to be a writer. It was possible for someone like *me* to be a writer.

Best of all, there are more of us. There are a lot of dyslexic writers out there. I admire them for overcoming that huge barrier into this field.

Wow! And you’re right—there are lots of dyxlexic writers. In fact, you’re the SECOND Dragonfly guest this week who’s dyslexic. And you didn’t let a little thing like paralysis stop you either…you’re a powerhouse!! Your writing process must be interesting. What’s it like?

Since my writing process is likely really weird and different than what I see most people talk about, I’ll explain it. I don’t know if it’s because I’m dyslexic or what, but I don’t like to write in order. So I plot out a rough outline and write some scenes that are burning a hole in my brain. At that point I’ll write the first chapters. Then I flesh out the book even more. I like to know about how it will all end before I really go too far. When I get the first rough draft I start adding in more layers, because I’m terrible with setting, so that goes in after as well as some other plot details. The later revisions are usually adding in layers and cutting out the dead wood. I think of it as constantly remolding clay.

I write a lot–usually at least a thousand words or more a day on average. Being dyslexic, a lot of that gets thrown out. Editing (mostly clarifying what I wrote) is the hardest stage for me.

Any hot tips for other folks trying to write with dyslexia?

I was once a school psychologist and counselor. I taught life skills classes and had a special place in my heart for other kids who had reading/writing disorders like me. So I have lots of little strategies we teach students who struggle with learning disabilities.

One of them is writing in one font, then changing to a different font when you edit. I change from a fancy font that Scrivener gives me to Times New Roman and I catch a lot more mistakes this way. Aside from reading the manuscript out loud, this is a hint that I don’t see as often mentioned on writing sites.

And okay, yeah, my GH novel is about a school psychologist; I feel I need to walk around with a sign over my head that states my GH book is not about me. I was never a phone sex operator, nor did I hitch-hike across country with a hunky truck driver. I did experience a potential school-shooting scare (everyone was fine and they caught the culprit before any harm came to the students) and it did give me the idea to add the things I learned from that experience in a book someday.

The font change trick for editing sounds like a great addition to every writer’s editing arsenal! Thanks!! Any other general tips for writers?

Don’t give up. If something doesn’t work, try a new thing. If you’re the best in the room, find a new room. You won’t get better if you’re not always learning.

Spoken like a true counselor! I’m assuming you’re a big reader, too. What are some of your favorites?

When it comes to books, I’m a total whore. Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Indy stories, librarians…all my pimp daddies. I stick pretty close to the romance genre–especially all subgenres of speculative romance, historical romance, contemporary romance. Amish? Sure. Bikers? *holds up a shy hand* Seriously, did I just list them all?

My MUST BUY authors are Darynda Jones, Kristan Higgins, Nalini Singh, J.R. Ward, Suzanne Brockmann, Diana Gabaldon, Susan Andersen, Colleen Hoover, Jennifer Crusie—I’ve probably read everything they’ve ever written that was available and even searched down out-of-print stuff, too. But like all good romance readers, I’ve been known to dabble in a little Nora Roberts and other classics.

And I have a slight addiction to certain TV shows like: Outlander, Vikings, Big Bang Theory, Downton Abbey, and Game of Thrones. Although Game of Thrones is making me feel dead inside.

LOL on Game of Thrones. I haven’t seen the season finale yet. I’m scared. Speaking of things that scare people, are you going to Nationals? Have you ever been before?

Never been. Come find me and makes sure I don’t walk into the wrong bathrooms and be kind to me.

Everyone at Nationals is incredibly nice! Don’t worry. And—this is awesome—they convert almost all the bathrooms at the hotel over to Ladies, so you can pretty much go into any one you want. (For once, I pity the men.) Before we say goodbye, is there anything else you think we should know?

My blogging partner, Pam Stewart, and I were hoping to entice some of you like the pied piper to follow us over to www.smashedpicketfences.com where we’re talking today about yard sales, trash, and treasure—and how that perspective can help writers deal with conflicting critiques. We’re giving away first five pages critiques to two random lucky commenters!! You can see my credentials above (aside from finaling in the Golden Heart, I’ve won some contests and published several short stories in professional magazines). Pam just recently won the Silver Quill Fab Five contest (and she’s finaled/won others). So help us celebrate!

Cool! I’ll stop by. I love the name of the blog! Thanks so much for joining us today, Alice! Anything you’d like to ask our readers to get the conversation going today?

Since my book is about two characters stuck in a truck together on a cross-country ride…: If you could choose a writer or character from a book to hitchhike with, whom would it be? Choose wisely.

**************************************

Connect with Alice on social media:

Twitter:

@tinagower

@tinaalicefaris

blog: www.smashedpicketfences.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gowertina

86 responses to “Meet Golden Heart Finalist Alice Faris!”

Welcome, Alice! It’s a delight to have you here!

Ooh, ooh! If I pick an author, do they have to come with me???? J.K. Rowling, J.K. Rowling!!!! (We are going to have such a good time. I’m buying the burritos and Slurpees.)

2. Carrie Padgett says:

Fun post. Congratulations, Alice! I pick Anne Lamott. Can you let her know I’m on my way??

3. Great, great post, Tina! Can’t wait to meet you in NYC. And it’d have to be Jane Austen. 🙂

4. Mia J. Sosa says:

Inspiring post, Tina. You packed in plenty of tips I’d like to try; changing the font of your MS sounds like a great strategy for catching mistakes.

Author I’d hitchhike with: Toni Morrison. Goodness, I can just imagine the stories she’d share with me.

Looking forward to meeting you in New York!

• Seana Kelly says:

Mia, I went to a Toni Morrison interview years ago. It was in San Francisco. She was being interviewed by Dorothy Allison. The hall was packed and she was amazing. She has such beautiful voice, I could listen to her read a grocery list. Her stories, though, were brilliant. The woman didn’t win a Nobel Prize for nothing. 🙂

• Mia J. Sosa says:

You’re so lucky, Seana. I’m sure it was lovely. Makes me want that hitchhiking experience even more!

• Looking forward to meeting you, too! I’ve never read anything by Toni Morrison–and since two Dragonfly sisters are recommending I think I should!!

• Elisa Beatty says:

oh, Lord, Yes!!! She’s going down in history as one of the finest writers in the English language. Right up there with Faulkner and Woolf, both of whom she studied as a young woman. HARD but brilliant stuff. Beloved is her best.

• Mia J. Sosa says:

Agreed, Elisa!

If you haven’t read any of her work, Tina, I recommend that you begin with Sula. It’s the book that hooked me. Would love to know what you think if you get the chance to dig into one of her works. It’s an experience.

• Elisa Beatty says:

Okay, I’m going to need to rent a bus….Toni Morrison, Anne Lamott, and J.K. Rowling all together. Definitely going to need a lot of Slurpees….

I saw Morrison give a series of lectures at Berkeley some years back–amazing, formidable, brilliant woman.

I hear that in person she’s actually a much gentler person than she appears to be in public. She did an interview with Stephen Colbert that showed off a lovely, meditative, softer side.

5. “If you’re the best in the room, find a new room.”

That may be one of the best pieces of writing advice I’ve ever heard. And definitely one of the postives of becoming a GH finalist–it’s a new room filled with awesome writers.

Thanks for sharing your story!

• It IS a positive! One of the great things about being a Dragonfly is that I get to meet new writers across the world! I love meeting new friends, and friends of friends. And writer friends are the best. I’d been a member of my local chapter for a while before finaling and this year I’d decided to do the plunge-right-in thing and go to Nationals. I’d gone to a lot of Sci Fi writer conventions (but I read *so much more* romance). This will be like meeting my heros! I’m totally going into a completely new room!

6. Jen Gilroy says:

Thanks for lots of good advice, and an inspiring writing journey. I’m looking forward to meeting you in New York.

Author I’d hitchhike with is, like Jennifer Brodie, Jane Austen. Although I can’t imagine Miss Austen hitchhiking…!!

7. Kimberly says:

Great to hear from you Tina! Your story sounds hilarious! I’m looking forward to meeting you next month!

8. Seana Kelly says:

Great interview, Alice!

Thank you for the font tip! I will use that often. There are so many authors and characters I’d love to take on a road trip, it’s hard to narrow down the list. If I took Charley Davidson, you know Reyes would show up. Twofer! I think I’d go with Jill Shalvis, though. She’s is a hard-working, dyslexic romance author who consistently writes funny, charming, emotionally resonant stories. I’d love to talk with her about writing, hot guys, and cookies. Actually, I’d rather just eat the cookies.

Alice, I have spent most of my life doing the same thing, daydreaming a million stories, writing and rewriting conversations in my head, all because I never thought I could get them down on a page. So, you know, yay us.

9. Abby Sharpe says:

Let’s see… would I rather hitchhike with Mr. Darcy or Jamie Fraser… such choices… (or maybe I should just pick Arthur Dent.)

So was there a cause for the paralysis? (Yes, I’m nosy.) and how cool for your students that you can help them with reading issues because you’ve been there.

have fun in New York!!

• Hi Abby! Not nosy at all. They were never really positive about it, but my second physical therapist had a very educated guess. He thought maybe my SI joints (the ones in the back of the hip) came apart/stretched apart and that some nerves got caught inside. This was based on his intake assessment and the pattern of numb spots on my legs/feet (I had some feeling in some parts).

It happened probably during labor and I was told that it is a very rare side effect if the baby is too big (sorry if that is TMI). The neurologist on my case was on the phone with several other doctors around the country to see if they could get some answers. Thankfully, I started getting some feeling back in some spots after a few days. It takes a while for nerves to heal after trauma though.

I had a weird type of paralysis that I could bare weight on my legs (after a few days of heavy physical therapy) but could not pick them up and walk (that took more time). Apparently that meant two tributary nerves would at least be involved (It was a while ago, so I can’t remember if it was S1 and L5?? And since I’m dyslexic it could have been S5 and L1…It was the two that help with the signals to pick up and lower your feet).

• Abby Sharpe says:

Not TMI at all! I’m glad there was *something* of a reason – I’d be scared that it would happen again if I didn’t think I knew what caused it!

10. jbrayweber says:

Nice to “meet” you, Tina. What a wonderful and quite inspiring post. I, too, have a form of dyslexia. Mine is a reading comprehension deficiency. It is one reason I am a very slow reader and writer. But it is also a good thing, too. My brain picks out most mistakes like they are flashing neon lights.

Congrats on you GH final and best of luck!

Jenn!

• Yay Jen!!

Nice to “meet” you too! I love hearing about how dyslexia affect people differently. There are different forms of it and the reading comprehension one is frustrating because you can read ten pages and then think “Oh wait, what did I just read?” Lots of re-reading. But it’s good that you’ve found how it helps you, too. Hooray for dyslexia as a super power! I sometimes think mine helps me with certain things also.

It’s also interesting to see how dyslexia effects the other senses and other areas of life. Like I can’t seem to follow directions or find my way places. Once I’m there once though, I can usually find my way back (yay for good memories!).

• jbrayweber says:

Interesting that you say that about finding places, Tina. I’m pretty good with directions. But I’m an extremely visual person. Like you, once I’ve been there, I know my way back.

Dyslexia as a superpower…. I never thought of it that way before. SWEET! (Note to self: buy cape)

11. Tamara Hogan says:

Great post, Tina/Alice!. Congratulations on your GH final!

To your question…a character from a book to hitchhike with? That’s a hard one. Eve Dallas? Roarke? Dmitri, my favorite wicked vampire from Nalini Singh’s Guild Hunters world? Hmm. I think I’d have to choose Miles Vorkosigan, from Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan Saga.

• Great picks!! As far as authors on your list I’d love to get in the truck with Nalini Singh–her world building is amazing. I’m at the end of her latest psy/changeling book right now. Love that series!

• Tamara Hogan says:

I won an auction for lunch with Nalini at RWA National a couple of years ago. My first book had just been released, I felt like a complete n00b, and she was…simply lovely. 😉

12. Tina, you’re a fantastically brilliant girl. You’ve accomplished so much and have real stick-to-it-ness! Can’t wait to give real hugs in person!

I’d love to be stuck in a vehicle or hitchhike with Gerard Butler. Oh wait, did you say writer or character? Well, since I imagine my hero as Gerard–yep, first name basis–I’ll pretend that counts.

Hugs girl.
    Arlene ~

13. Alice, you sound like someone I want to be best friends with! Don’t worry I won’t stalk you (much), but I will definitely look for you at RWA.

Having gone through my own physical trauma, I REALLY appreciate your I’m-going-to-do-it attitude. Dyslexia and paralysis be damned.

So glad you decided to write down that novel : ) Best of luck and see you NYC! Heather

14. Tara Sheets says:

Alice! I can’t wait to meet you in person next month. Your story of how you came to be a writer is both amazing and inspiring. I’m so intrigued that you write science fiction and fantasy, too. As someone else mentioned, I love the quote, “If you’re the best in the room, find a new room.” What a great way to remind yourself to continue learning new things. If I had to travel with a character, it would probably be Jamie Fraser. Or Han Solo. . . No, maybe Reyes. Or Jericho Barrons. Agh! I can’t decide. Can I just have them all?

• I hope there’s an extra seat in your truck because I’m totally coming in on your hitchhike ride. Jamie Fraser and Han Solo and Reyes *swoon* I don’t even need to read who else will be in there, I’m sticking my thumb out when you drive by.

Can’t wait to meet you, too! Vive la Dragonfly!

15. Laurie Kellogg says:

Congrats, Alice! I love the title. I’m going to try your wonderful suggestion and change my font for my final pass through my manuscript this time. I miss a lot of my typos–mostly tiny missing words that are invisible to most readers like ‘of, it, on, etc.’ Maybe that will help me catch them.

• Yay! Good luck with the fix. It seems to help me catch a lot more than reading the same font/type size over and over. Granted I don’t ever catch all my mistakes, but even if I only get five, then that’s five less for my agent or future editor to deal with 🙂

16. Caroline says:

Alice, my Dragonfly sister! This story sounds fantastic, and a contemporary that’s funny? We must be sisters in our Jennifer Crusie fandom too. 🙂 I love laughing my way through a good romance.

I’d love to be stuck on an elevator with George RR Martin. Given Sunday’s GoT episode, a lot of people might like to meet him in a dark alley for entirely different reasons, but I’m coming to admire the way he turns inherently evil characters into sympathetic characters. It bothered me the way I started feeling for Jamie but when he saved Brienne, he’d undergone a dramatic change. That’s the kind of storytelling I’d like to do so to pick his brain for a few hours (over a few tankards of ale), I’d be a happy camper.

I’d say I can’t wait to meet you in NY, but I’m enjoying the daylights out of right now too! NY will just be the icing on the cake! 🙂

• Caroline! We are so totally Crusie fans together. She is a comedic genus. Comedies are the best to read. I don’t think I’d ever get enough of them and the good ones are so rare.

Funny you’d want to be with GRRM. He usually attends WorldCon every year and I usually go. I have mutual friends with him and I was speaking with this friend (who is also friends with him) and he was like “Who’s this?” We got introduced and later that evening in the bar he stopped me before I was leaving for the night (that guy NEVER sleeps!) and told me I had to sing for the group (they were playing some game where everyone had to sing the opening credit song for their favorite sitcom). Jesus! What do you do when one of the masters of SFF tells you to sing/dance monkey dance. I’m the worst singer in the world, but I managed a few notes. I got to hang out a bit for a while with them. It was pretty cool. He’d never recognize me again, but it was fun while it lasted. He made a joke that if anyone asked him when the book would be finished that night, he’d kill a Stark. I…I don’t think he was joking.

17. Sharon Wray says:

Congratulations, Alice!

I loved your post and learning about your struggles and I can’t wait to meet you and my other dragonfly sisters next month in NYC.

And i love that tip about changing fonts to edit – I do that too and it’s works great!

18. Welcome, Alice, and congratulations!! Your manuscript sounds fabulous. (And I suppose I’d love to hitchhike with Stephen King. I’d love to pick his brain.)

19. Alice, my Dragonfly and Rebecca Strauss sister!! 🙂 You are a woman of inspiration and perseverance!! I’m so thrilled to share this GH experience with you and the rest of our Dragonfly sisters!

At the risk of being redundant, I really loved your “if your the best in the room, pick a new room” idea. I’ve been at this business for a while, and there is still a TON for me to learn! 🙂

I’m wondering if we can take a super long bus for this ride. So many people have named awesome writers and characters to travel with! 🙂

Let’s see…
    Characters: I was always a sucker for Joe Morelli (Stephanie Plum’s novels), though I fell in love with all the brother’s in Nora’s Chesapeake Bay series.

Authors: Kristan Higgins seems like she’s be a ton of fun to hang with, so if she’d be along for the ride, I’d swing by her house and pick her up. 🙂

I’m super super excited to meet everyone in person in July!! HUGS

20. Priscilla!! My agent-sister! We’re going to have so much fun in NYC 🙂

At this point we need to book a cruise ship with all these awesome suggestions. I think I want to ride in everyone’s truck now. And I’m a huge fan of the Chesapeake Bay Series, too. Oh, Nora, she’s my favorite. No wait, Darynda is, no Jennifer, no Nalini, no JR….oh god–How do I choose!

21. Tracy P says:

Alice, I’m going to kidnap you for a week (or more) and have you inspire my dyslexic daughter. I’d so love for her to enjoy reading like you. With late diagnosis, we’re still trying to increase her reading fluency and overcome years of “I can’t” attitude. Happy for you in overcoming this challenge and not giving up!

Love that you mentioned changing fonts (any teachers reading this, please be willing to change the font for assignments and tests for dyslexic students!)

Kristan Higgans and Suz Brockmann- Yes! And I’ve been fortunate enough to meet them both. I like to think my series is like Suz’s Troubleshooters but I don’t think I’ve mastered characterization at her level. They are so memorable!

As for taking the trip, I’d pick my own Golden Heart finalist hero, Sergeant First Class Anthony Salvatore Vincenti. 1) because he looks like Joe Manganiello 2) because his Army Special Ops experience and training makes him capable of handling anything. I admit my overactive imagination has put him on Survivor tv show but I won’t write that story. Too much drama and not enough romance. 😉

• And I would probably happily come along!! I’d love to give away some of my tricks I’ve learned over the years. I don’t envy your daughters struggle. I was diagnosed later in life (early college), so before that mostly people see an intelligent girl and think: she’s got the brains, she must just be a lazy writer (although I spent hours, hours I tell you, writing essays…meanwhile my counterparts just spit out a document and it would be “perfect” GARRRRR!! Not just that but most of the time what I’d write would look like gibberish. It’s hard to get past that stage when you don’t understand what other people see. I didn’t get what was wrong with what I was doing. I didn’t understand how they would read my words wrong.

It’s really hard. Hugs to you and your daughter!

That is so awesome that you’ve meet two people I consider major romance writing heros! Love their books!!

22. Hi Alice/Tina!! Great interview and I’m SO excited for you! Can’t wait to see you on awards night. 🙂

As for the trip…I think I’ll go with Peabody from the In Death books. She’d just be fun and if we got into any trouble, she’d take care of it. *waving*

• Hooray!! Anna is my Oreo savior, everyone. I was lamenting the other day about not finding any S’mores Oreos and she found them for me!! All hail the sugar queen. Also she’s teaching me all the GH ropes. So happy to have such awesome RWA Chapter Sisters!

23. Loucinda McGary says:

Hi Tina/Alice!

I’m sooo very proud of you and your GH final! Also very glad you are going to National (even if I’m not — sob!) because nothing can quite compare with going as a GH finalist. 😉

I’m sure you know who is going to be in that truck with me, since we’ve shared our JAMMF addiction for awhile now.

HUGS! And fingers XXed you bring home the Golden Heart!

• I am just so honored to have been a finalist that I do not have a desire to win! I feel always like I’ve gotten away with something when I’m up for an award. I know it’s WEIRD, but true. And then this thing always happens when I get to know people, there are so many other amazing women in my category that I hope take away the prize! I’ll be so happy for any one of them and proud to lose against them.

And I’d totally ride in your car, but I have a feeling I’d be unwelcome since then we’d have to share Jamie. Oh man, my obsession sometimes feels wrong….but I can’t stop.

24. Phyllis says:

Hooray for Tina-Alice!

Conference is a crazy, interesting time. For all of you meeting Tina for the first time, you’re in for a treat. She’s ea5sy to talk with, even for someone. Like me who is socially awkward.

As for hitchhiking… I have no idea. Someone with good taster in music and can make interesting conversation and can navigate. Who is good with maps?

• Phyllis says:

Sorry for the typos. My cellphone Hates me more than usual today And my laptop has decided it don’t need no internet.

• Yay Phyllis! You say such nice things about me. I’m SO glad I’ve totally fooled you 🙂 My infiltration is almost complete. *fist pump*

Also what typos? This is the beauty of being friends with me. I have trouble seeing my own mistakes, let alone someone else’s

25. Elle Mason says:

Love the blurb! My grabby hands want to snatch it and read. Oh and regarding editing, I love the font change suggestion. I’ll try that!

I’d cross country travel with Hermione. I think she’d have some spells to get us through traffic.

26. Maria Powers says:

Love this interview Alice/Tina! I can’t wait to read this book. By the way, no worries about the bathrooms because half the time the men’s rooms are changed to women’s rooms because there are so many female romance writers wandering around and trying to get in and out of bathrooms.

It almost makes me feel bad for the men who attend. Almost.

Yay for another Dragonfly.

27. Marnee Blake says:

What a great interview!!

A character in a book to travel with? Winnie the Pooh, maybe. He’s awfully cuddly. And upbeat. Sings nice songs. Probably not going to turn out to be an ax murderer. Might be expensive to keep fed–honey’s pricey these days–but I think his other amiable qualities make up for that.

🙂

Looking forward to meeting you in NYC!

XO
    Marn

28. Jo Anne Banker says:

Hey, Tina/Alice ~ Love your blog post! Love your book premise & characters, and can’t wait to read it when you’re published. You have a FABULOUS time in NY, and enjoy the Dragonfly energy with which you’ll FLY!

29. Awesome interview, Tina (err Alice)! Your book sounds like it will have some very funny moments and I look forward to reading it. And this quote: “If you’re the best in the room, find a new room.” Oh. My. Gosh. Yes!! So relatable to all facets of life and I will be using that with my kids. (I’ll totally give you credit.) Looking forward to hanging with you and the rest of the Dragonflies in NY.

30. Loved this post! So inspirational! It’s great to hear that you’ve overcome several obstacles to follow your dreams and make them a reality. You’re well on your way.
    As for who I’d jump in a truck with to travel cross-country….UGH!!!! I came too late and Seana STOLE MY ANSWER! haha. I was thinking the EXACT same thing. If Charley Davidson was in the truck, Reyes Farrow wouldn’t be too far away. Then again, as I adore Darynda, I’d take the author as well. 🙂
    Great post! Can’t wait to hang with you in NYC when Dragonflies Take Times Square. 🙂

• If Charley was in the truck we’d all be clamoring to hop in as well. I mean it would be pointless to choose Reyes because he’d just pop out anytime Charley needed him. Seriously, we know how to stack this question in our favor 😉

Let’s get this NYC party started!

Thanks so much for being with us today, Alice!!!

Best of luck in NYC! I’m sure you’ll have a blast!

32. Alexa Rowan says:

Late to the party but just wanted to say how inspiring your story is, Alice. Looking forward to meeting you *next* *month* (eep!).

Alexa

33. Brynn Kelly says:

Great post 🙂 I’d choose Elizabeth Bennett. She’s just on the right side of snarky and witty.

34. Julie Glover says:

I’m not dyslexic, but I also concluded I write best…when I write out of order. A friend of mine calls it “story quilting,” where you write scenes as they come to you and stitch them all together later. I’ve crafted 3 of my 5 manuscripts this way, including my GH final. Guess it’s working for us, so let’s keeping doing it!

My parents warned heartily against hitchhikers, but I’ll answer the question anyway! LOL. My answer would likely change from day to day, but I’m going with a character this time–namely Thorne from the Lunar Chronicles. OR maybe Ford Prefect of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Ooh, this is a hard question! 🙂

• Elizabeth King: Looks like I’m first up – probably because it’s 6.30pm on the 22nd in my time zone already!...
  • Tracy Brody: It’s the day you pick up calls from unknown numbers. Poor Fenley called me a few weeks ago and I...
  • Tracy Brody: LOL. There’s usually one story like that. I showered early remember Kari Cole’s story of...
  • Elisa Beatty: Yay, Sammy!! Sounds like showers were a bit part of the magic this morning, for you and Alexis both!...
  • Elisa Beatty: LOL, that’s awesome!! Congrats, and welcome to the Golden Heart family!!!